Miralax Gatorade Patient Q&A
1. What are the components of this prep?
- 2 bisacodyl (Dulcolax) tablets
- 1 bottle of Miralax (8.3 oz., 238 grams)
- 64 oz. Gatorade
- 1 bottle Magnesium Citrate (10 oz.)
2. The Dulcolax tablets should be taken at noon the day prior to the procedure. How fast will the Dulcolax tablets take effect? Will I need to miss work?
- Results will vary per person. Dulcolax will typically start to take effect in 6-12 hours. The expected result is a soft, formed bowel movement; but again, results may vary. Dulcolax should take effect by late afternoon and taking a day off of work is not indicated.
3. Why do I have to take Magnesium Citrate 4 hours before my procedure?
- The timing of when you take your colon cleansing is important. Your body naturally produces a film which coats your colon, known as bile or other residue. When left on the colon wall, the bile and residue can make it more difficult for the physician to see your colon and perform the best possible colonoscopy evaluation.
4. Can my phramacist substitute with a different colon cleansing preparation?
- No. Miralax/Gatorade prep is over-the-counter and cannot be provided by a pharmacist. This prep was picked specifically for its qualities for colon cleansing, as well as increased patient tolerance and ability to complete the prep.
5. How much does it cost? Is it covered by insurance?
- Approximately $20 total for Miralax, 64 oz. Gatorade, Dulcolax tablets and Magnesium Citrate. Please note that Dulcolax tablets usually come in a 25 count box, but our prep only requires the use of 2 tablets. Since these items are all over-the-counter, they are not covered by insurance. These items may qualify for a flexible medical spending account, but each patient should verify that with their employer or insurance provider.
6. Is Miralax available at local pharmacies?
- Yes, local pharmacies already have Miralax in stock over-the-counter.
7. Do I have to take all parts of the prep?
- Yes. In order to achieve the best results all steps of the prep should be completed. The Dulcolax (bisacodyl) tablets help to start the process by eliminating excess bulk. The Miralax combined with the Gatorade cleanses the colon and also provides necessary electrolytes. The Magnesium Citrate removes any remaining bile that the body may have produced prior to the procedure.
8. What type of Gatorade should I purchase?
- Plan to purchase 64 oz. of Gatorade. Regular Gatorade or Gatorade G2 (reduced sugar) is acceptable. Do not purchase red flavors because they can mimic blood in the colon during the procedure. Do not use powdered Gatorade. The variety of Gatorade purchased should have at least 110 mg of sodium, and 30 mg of potassium per 8 oz. serving.